I wanted to share a recipe with you that is both fantastically tasty and perfect to make with kids who want to cook. I got it from allrecipes.com and cooked it for years for my husband's birthday until he finally told me (almost a decade later) that he would rather have lemon bars...
While that glowing review doesn't bode well for how amazing this recipe is, this might: I won a cooking contest using this recipe...Yep. It just so happened everyone who entered this particular contest also won. But still...
Ok so NONE of those are very convincing arguments. You'll just have to make it yourself to know for sure.
Reasons it is good for kids:
- They get to smash bananas.
- They get to use a mixer which is super exciting for them.
- They get to eat frosting.
Reasons moms like it:
- The butter doesn't need to be room temperature so there needn't be any planning ahead on your part. You've already been through so much today. You do NOT need to think about butter at a time like this.
- The nasty bananas you keep staring at in the corner of your kitchen, yeah, you get to make use of them which will lead to you feeling very homemaker-ish and proud of your frugality.
- You get to eat frosting.
Banana Chocolate Chip Cake
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large mashed bananas
- 1 egg
- 1 cup butter, melted (I used salted because I had it.)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I use dark chocolate chunks)
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 oz. cream cheese (that my neighbor accidentally left at my house. Hope she didn't want it back...)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the dry cake ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mash bananas in small bowl and add remaining wet ingredients to bowl of bananas.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredient bowl.
- Add chocolate chips and stir.
- Pour cake into greased 9x13 dish and bake for 30 minutes.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Combine butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and continue to mix until well blended.
- Frost cake when cooled.
Hope you enjoy making and tasting this delicious cake! Please bake it and come back to tell me how great I am for suggesting it, ok? ;)