Hi guys! In a few days I will be at a writing conference called Declare and I am SO looking forward to the time to learn from and be encouraged by the women there. In an effort to get to know one another before we arrive, conference attendees are telling some things people need to know about them.
I have recently been so blessed to see many new subscribers so I thought this would be a great way to give you a little more info about me as well. So here goes!
4 Facts About Me
- My very first job at 16 years old was at a tye-dye t-shirt shop. It was such a great time.
- I worked as a high school teacher in a jail for juvenile males being tried as adults (because even 15 year old people know it's not nice to kill your friends at a party) Well, I guess they don't all know that. And the ones who didn't know? Yeah, those were my students. It was one of the most impactful experiences of my life.
- I lived in rural parts of China for a few years teaching English. Also, an entirely life-changing job.
- I supervised a giant Starbucks for a time in England. It was in the most elaborate and gorgeous building you've ever seen. This job didn't change my life in the same way as the other two, but I really appreciated all the free coffee.
4 Endearing Quirks
- I have a thing about the number 4. Since I was a little child, if there are an optional number of items to pick, I need 4. I will always choose 4 candies out of a bowl, 4 friends in a group, and at the grocery store I get 4 apples. I don't break out into a sweat if there are only 3, I would just rather have 4 thankyouverymuch.
- I can't eat meat off bones. It just makes the whole thing too real or something.
- While I don't think I am heartless and cold, I am not really (at all) an animal person. I blame it on the fact that I'm allergic to many of them.
- I'm indecisive. I had 4 different majors in college then went on to be a teacher (not what my degree was in) and then an RN and now I make art in my laundry room. Next year I plan to be a trapeze artist.
4 Things About My Blog/Writing
- It's honest. I tell all of the things. I pass my posts by my husband though because (apparently) sometimes you should have a filter. My filter is there but it just has very large holes that lets dang near everything through.
- It's funny. At least I laugh when I write them.
- It shows redemption. When I've written about a struggle I always aim to point to our Redeemer. That's where we should all be looking anyway.
- It has been in transition. In a year I have changed my URL three times. Did I mention I'm indecisive? I have finally landed though. I love Hey Emily Thomas and it's also my Etsy shop name and I also have business cards so I feel a little entrenched. Which is good for me.
4 of My Favorite Things
- Coffee and anything remotely related to coffee. As I write this I am realizing we are out of coffee at my house. Guess I'm heading to Starbucks to get (four) coffees. Kidding about the four thing.
- At this very second I am really loving the show Portlandia. I have always wanted to be from Portland so they already feel like my people. The show's ridiculousness knows no bounds and it makes me laugh while I work on orders for my shop.
- Trader Joes. When we moved to our town there was no Trader Joes and a few months later they built one. When I got the news, I cried. It's an obsession, folks.
- T-Shirts. I have always wanted to be fashionable and sometimes I even go wild and buy something cutesy at the mall but then I just hang it (until the end of time) in my closet. Next to all my t-shirts.