I love God. I am pretty crazy about the kids He gave me. I want to do fun things with them to teach them about Him. Hmmm...
It's at this point I kinda trail off and just go wash dishes because there always seems to be dishes to wash. Ideas for kid activities don't just come to me. I'm not like Amanda, Heather or Holly. (Pssst. Awesome kid activities DO just come to these ladies. You should check them out!)
Enter Just Add Family! I forgot I bought this last year and recently rediscovered it. I thought these looooong summer evenings could use some intentional activities. Activities that I'm calling adventures by the way because then everyone is that much more excited. I wanted to share today's adventure with you because it went so well.
Today's lesson: Satan's Traps
- Show a mousetrap to the kids and explain how they work.
- Ask if they think it was invented to make the mouse's life better or worse?
- Ask the kids to find some food a mouse would like to eat and bait the trap.
- Set the trap (or if you're a chicken like me, have your husband do it).
- Spring the trap (again, refer to the above caveat).
- Read Ephesians 6:11 and ask: what are some snares or traps of Satan? Will they make your lives better or worse?
- Read 1 Peter 5:8 and ask: Satan is trying to trap people with bait. What does he use for bait?
Then, because I could tell it was getting a little heavy (you know, all the you-have-an-enemy-and-he-is-trying-to-trap-you stuff) so I added a verse at the end that I was (thankfully) able to see on the chalkboard across the kitchen (1 John 4:4) "Greater is He that is in us than he that is in the world." That seemed to make the girl child feel better. The boy had already wandered off to find his cowboy boots.
We laughed a lot, they learned a lot and we had some great interactions. The whole thing took 15 minutes and came up again several times throughout the day. We will be doing another one soon!
(I wasn't compensated in any way for this product review and I bought the item myself. I'm just sharing it in case you find it useful!)